IEC 60204-1: Edition 5.1; Consolidated Reprint
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved
This part of IEC 60204 applies to the application of electrical, electronic and programmable electronic equipment and systems to machines not portable by hand while working, including a group of machines working together in a co-ordinated manner.
NOTE 1 This part of IEC 60204 is an application standard and is not intended to limit or inhibit technological advancement.
NOTE 2 In this part of IEC 60204, the term electrical includes electrical, electronic and programmable electronic matters (i.e. electrical equipment means electrical, electronic and programmable electronic equipment).
NOTE 3 In the context of this part of IEC 60204, the term person refers to any individual and includes those persons who are assigned and instructed by the user or his agent(s) in the use and care of the machine in question.
The equipment covered by this part of IEC 60204 commences at the point of connection of the supply to the electrical equipment of the machine (see 5.1).
NOTE 4 The requirements for the electrical supply installation in buildings are given in the IEC 60364 series.
This part of IEC 60204 is applicable to the electrical equipment or parts of the electrical equipment that operate with nominal supply voltages not exceeding 1 000 V for alternating current (a.c.) and not exceeding 1 500 V for direct current (d.c.), and with nominal supply frequencies not exceeding 200 Hz.
NOTE 5 For higher voltages, see IEC 60204-11.
This part of IEC 60204 does not cover all the requirements (for example guarding, interlocking, or control) that are needed or required by other standards or regulations in order to protect persons from hazards other than electrical hazards. Each type of machine has unique requirements to be accommodated to provide adequate safety.
This part specifically includes, but is not limited to, the electrical equipment of machines as defined in 3.35.
NOTE 6 Annex C lists examples of machines whose electrical equipment can be covered by this part of IEC 60204.
This part of IEC 60204 does not specify additional and special requirements that can apply to the electrical equipment of machines that, for example:
– are intended for use in open air (i.e. outside buildings or other protective structures);
– use, process, or produce potentially explosive material (for example paint or sawdust);
– are intended for use in potentially explosive and/or flammable atmospheres;
– have special risks when producing or using certain materials;
– are intended for use in mines;
– are sewing machines, units, and systems (which are covered by IEC 60204-31);
– are hoisting machines (which are covered by IEC 60204-32).
Power circuits where electrical energy is directly used as a working tool are excluded from this part of IEC 60204.
Buy this Standard Now
Or if you answer yes to any of these questions:
- Do you purchase more than $3000 in standards per year?
- Do you purchase many different kinds of standards?
- Do you have multiple employees accessing the same standards?
You may save money by purchasing more comprehensive online access.
* Required field