SNZ AS/NZS 60950.1: Incorporating Amendment No. 1: November 2012
SDO: SNZ: Standards New Zealand
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved
Equipment covered by this standard
This standard is applicable to mains-powered or battery-powered information technology equipment, including electrical business equipment and associated equipment, with a RATED VOLTAGE not exceeding 600 V.
This standard is also applicable to such information technology equipment:
- designed for use as telecommunication terminal equipment and TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK infrastructure equipment, regardless of the source of power;
- designed and intended to be connected directly to, or used as infrastructure equipment in, a CABLE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM, regardless of the source of power;
- designed to use the AC MAINS SUPPLY as a communication transmission medium (see Clause 6, Note 4 and 7.1, Note 4).
This standard is also applicable to components and subassemblies intended for incorporation in information technology equipment. It is not expected that such components and subassemblies comply with every aspect of the standard, provided that the complete information technology equipment, incorporating such components and subassemblies, does comply.
NOTE 1 Examples of aspects with which uninstalled components and subassemblies may not comply include the marking of the power rating and access to hazardous parts.
NOTE 2 This standard may be applied to the electronic parts of equipment even if that equipment does not wholly fall within its Scope, such as large-scale air conditioning systems, fire detection systems and fire extinguishing systems. Different requirements may be necessary for some applications.
This standard specifies requirements intended to reduce risks of fire, electric shock or injury for the OPERATOR and layman who may come into contact with the equipment and, where specifically stated, for a SERVICE PERSON.
This standard is intended to reduce such risks with respect to installed equipment, whether it consists of a system of interconnected units or independent units, subject to installing, operating and maintaining the equipment in the manner prescribed by the manufacturer.
NOTE 3 The requirements of IEC 60065 may also be used to meet safety requirements for multimedia equipment. See IEC Guide 112, Guide on the safety of multimedia equipment.
This list is not intended to be comprehensive, and equipment that is not listed is not necessarily excluded from the Scope.
Equipment complying with the relevant requirements in this standard is considered suitable for use with process control equipment, automatic test equipment and similar systems requiring information processing facilities. However, this standard does not include requirements for performance or functional characteristics of equipment.
Requirements additional to those specified in this standard may be necessary for:
- equipment intended for operation in special environments (for example, extremes of temperature; excessive dust, moisture or vibration; flammable gases; and corrosive or explosive atmospheres);
- electromedical applications with physical connections to the patient;
- equipment intended to be used in vehicles, on board ships or aircraft, in tropical countries, or at altitudes greater than 2 000 m;
- equipment intended for use where ingress of water is possible; for guidance on such requirements and on relevant testing, see Annex T.
NOTE Attention is drawn to the fact that authorities of some countries impose additional requirements.
This standard does not apply to:
- power supply systems which are not an integral part of the equipment, such as motorgenerator sets, battery backup systems and transformers;
- building installation wiring;
- devices requiring no electric power.
Buy this Standard Now
Or if you answer yes to any of these questions:
- Do you purchase more than $3000 in standards per year?
- Do you purchase many different kinds of standards?
- Do you have multiple employees accessing the same standards?
You may save money by purchasing more comprehensive online access.
* Required field