NASA NASA-LLIS-0964: Lessons Learned – Space Shuttle Main Engine (SSME): Dry Gaseous Purges
SDO: NASA: NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved
Description of Driving Event:
Prior to starting the engine, there is a period of time referred to as the start preparation phase. At the beginning of this time period, the oxidizer side of the engine is purged with dry nitrogen to eliminate moisture and the fuel side is purged with dry helium to eliminate air as well as moisture. This prevents the formation of ice particles in the LOX system or air frozen by the hydrogen.
- Configuration Management
- Cryogenic Systems
- Ground Equipment
- Launch Vehicle
- Parts Materials & Processes
- Safety & Mission Assurance
- Test Article
- Test Facility
Buy this Standard Now
Or if you answer yes to any of these questions:
- Do you purchase more than $3000 in standards per year?
- Do you purchase many different kinds of standards?
- Do you have multiple employees accessing the same standards?
You may save money by purchasing more comprehensive online access.
* Required field