NEMA 250: Enclosures for Electrical Equipment (1000 Volts Maximum)
SDO: NEMA: National Electrical Manufacturers Association
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved
This standard covers enclosures for electrical equipment rated not more than 1000 Volts and intended to be installed and used as follows:
a. Non-hazardous locations
1. Enclosures for indoor locations, Types 1, 2, 5, 12, 12K, and 13; and
2. Enclosures for indoor or outdoor locations, Types 3, 3X, 3R, 3RX, 3S, 3SX, 4, 4X, 6, and 6P.
b. Hazardous locations
1. Enclosures for indoor locations, Types 7 and 9;
2. Enclosures for indoor or outdoor locations, Type 8; and
3. Enclosures for mining applications, Type 10.
Requirements for enclosures for non-hazardous locations are contained in the body of the standard. Requirements for enclosures for hazardous locations are contained in Supplement A of the standard.
This standard covers the requirements to provide protection to the enclosed equipment against specific environmental conditions.
This standard supplements requirements for enclosures that are contained in the individual product standards.
This standard does not cover the requirements for protection of devices against conditions such as condensation, icing, corrosion, or contamination which may occur within the enclosure or which may enter via conduit or unsealed openings.
A product that contains features, characteristics, components, materials, or systems new or different from those in use when the standard was developed, and that involves a risk of fire, electric shock, or injury to persons shall be evaluated using the appropriate additional component and end-product requirements as determined necessary to maintain the level of safety for the user of the product as originally anticipated by the intent of this standard.
Buy this Standard Now
Or if you answer yes to any of these questions:
- Do you purchase more than $3000 in standards per year?
- Do you purchase many different kinds of standards?
- Do you have multiple employees accessing the same standards?
You may save money by purchasing more comprehensive online access.
* Required field